Saturday, April 29, 2006

Welcome to Son of Citation Machine

First, I want to welcome you to Son of Citation Machine (SOCM). It's been exciting to finally get this baby out, and, as is often the case, it's birth has been rocky. At the same time, it happened at exactly the right time. It's the end of the semester, and Citation Machine is serving more than a half-million page views a day.

So what's different about SOCM that helps with all this traffic. Mostly the software is much simpler. I reprogrammed most of the site so that the information involved in a citation comes from a database, so that Citation Machine just simply gets the format, plugs in the information, and then displays it for you to copy and paste.

Even with these economizing efforts, Citation Machine is threatening to bring down many of the other sites served by my hosting company. So I have been further economizing, at the same time that the technical folks at Dreamhost (my hosting company) have also enacted (heroic) measures to keep the service going.

I'm going to close now, by saying that I appreciate all of your suggestions. You have given me new ideas for further enhancing SOCM. More about that later.

14 comments:

Mis said...

SOCM is WONDERFUL!!! It has been a sanity saver for many of my students as well as myself. As they say in the south, "Love your heart!" for creating SOCM!!!!!

Jordan said...

Thank you so much for your excellent website. It is so wonderful and has helped me through school beyond belief. Keep up the excellent work on improving the site. I hope that you will keep the website running as long as you can so that can keep helping students through school. Your site is so easy because it is so much harder to write out citations by hand. Thanks you so much,

Jordan S.

Toney at Malone said...

I feel compelled to say thanks.... as a matter of fact, if I could bake you a cake, I would ;)
This site has been my saving grace for 3 years now. I learned about it waaaay back getting my AAS and now that I am completing my BA, it still remains a staple in my educational life! I recommend it to EVERYONE!

Kristie said...

How come there are no ways to site internet pictures?

Tech Tester said...

Just came to say thank you for creating Son of Citation Machine ;)

It has resolved my problems with the annoying APA stuff.

Unknown said...

I use the citation machine almost every day .... so I immediately noticed when it stopped "working correctly" ... we need an IT person on this! The entries are not coming up in the right order after "submitting" ... please help ... and thank you for your years of perfect service!

Unknown said...

can you add a mouse over on the different fields you use in the form explaining where to look for them in a book or online source. for eg. web page title and website title

Unknown said...

I have been using SOCM for the past months and it has been wonderful. As of Saturday 8/16/08, I have been unable to get access. It gives me all kinds of error messgaes.
HELP I really need it!

gshanny said...

what would i click to do a biblyography for a person and this citation machine is teh best and really helps me out

gshanny said...

please help me

Ivan said...

The Citation machine for the web document will not show up, I liked version 3 so much better than what you have now

cheyenne said...

thank you very much.I like how u said what u said.

novita bonita said...

I have found a glitch. When I use APA format with 6 authors of a journal article citation machine does not ask for the name of the journal.

Brian and Abby said...

I can't get the citation machine to work... the left sidewalk isn't showing the different citing formats. Does anyone know how to fix it? I've tried opening it on explorer and firefox.